Monday, August 20, 2007

Google Analytics with Blogger

Google Analytics is an awesome FREE website usage/ analysis tool. Since I started blogging, I have had the eerie feeling that I am writing and no-one is reading. (I guess by the fact that there are no comments on my blog entries.) I figured, what the heck, I think I will try to confirm this suspicion.

Since I have used google analytics to track usage statistics from other sites I have worked on, I thought I would check to see if it would be possible to do with my blog.

And sure enough I can! And, as a bonus it is also quite easy.

Just head over to google analytics and add a profile for your blog. If you don't already have an account you can use your existing gmail account or create a new one.

The wizard will then present you with a little snippet of javascript.

Copy this snippet to your clipboard.

Edit your blog layout. (On the dashboard, click on "Layout" next to the blog you want to track)

On the layout click on "Add a page element"

Find the "HTML/JavaScript" page element and click the "ADD TO BLOG" button.

Leave the title blank.

Paste the copied bit of javascript into "Content" section.

Click on Save Changes.

Bingo!

-sean

No comments: